Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Initial

After retiring from a career in science funding and management (see my LinkedIn posting under "Gary W. Strong"), I decided to start a blog because of a felt need to share my experiences, warts and all.

While the US government science funding program is remarkable in its successes, anything can be improved. Comments from anyone on the subject are more than welcome. We are looking to create a conversation rather than simply do a brain dump.

Having taught a couple of workshops on research management in Saudi Arabia has also clarified to me what some of the lessons were that I learned but took for granted. When you explain to someone else how you did your job, you quickly find out that you actually have strong opinions based on experience that could be valuable to others.

While my very best job was at the National Science Foundation, I also worked at DARPA as a PM and at the Department of Homeland Security in charge of Behavioral research program plans and budgeting. Most positions also allowed me to interact with nearly all of the other Federal agencies in one way or another in matters of research funding cooperation.

This blog won't be a life story. I will post items as they occur to me in probably a more-or-less random order. If you just found me here, thanks, and please let me know what you think.




No comments:

Post a Comment